Math can be an interesting subject if a learner starts to take an interest in numbers, table equations, and theorems. A learner should need to create a curiosity to learn and understand the game of numbers. Interesting math topics can help to generate interest in the student. Interesting subjects or topics create a sense of calmness in a student’s mind. From ancient to the present time, math is the most important factor in not just the field of education but also our daily lives. Mathematics helps us create our daily life orderly and prevent us from chaos such as managing time, budgeting, cooking, driving, etc.
In the education system, Mathematics can be considered as the base of all subjects, hence it has become very important to learn this subject and understand it completely. Students can take help of those topics and subtopics that they find interesting and increase their potential while writing about them in their assignment and project work. But providing an informative and interesting Math topic is the responsibility of the teacher or professors because they are very well familiar with the student’s learning capabilities and also the relevant topic that has proven beneficial for the learners.
Branches of Mathematics as Discipline
First and foremost mathematics is very ancient. Persians and Greeks already used mathematical tools. Nowadays, we as modern men call it an interdisciplinary subject. Sociologists, biologists, and linguists alike use it in their work. Moreover, we are all surrounded by Mathematics in our day-to-day lives. For example, it displays in the measurement to time, we also used it to calculate our daily budget and expenditure. Mathematics can be categorized into 2 branches; Pure and Applied Mathematics, they both consist of their own sub-parts.
Here we solve the problem to question the answers. It is the study of basic structure and concepts that underlie mathematics. It is classified into 4 main parts;
- Geometry – It is the study of shape, size, angle, volume, radius, perimeter, and area. Here the shapes are the center of study which are either 2 dimensional or 3 dimensional.
- Arithmetic – It is the study of numbers and their operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The whole structure of arithmetic is based on numbers.
- Algebra – It is the study of numbers and algebraic equations. It is used when the number is not clear. Linear equations, fields, rings, groups, and polynomials are some major parts of algebra.
- Number Theory – It leads to many modern concepts of mathematics like harmonic analysis, probability, and coding theory. Number theory has applications in Computer science because of its connection with cryptography.
In applied mathematics, we have come to learn about the connection of mathematics with other subjects. It can be categories into 6 main fields:
- Combinatorics:- It is a general study of discrete objects. Reasoning about such a structure or object occurs throughout science and mathematics.
- Computational Biology:- Bioinformatics and computational biology apply and develop the technique from statistics, computer science, applied mathematics, chemistry, and physics to study biological problems.
- Physical Applied Mathematics:- It helps to develop new mathematical models and methods of broad utility to engineering and science.
- Computational Science and Numerical Analysis:- Its key area is related to Computer science (CS). The problem of interest in physical mathematics frequently requires computations for their resolution.
- Theoretical Computer Science:- It comprises 2 sub-fields; the theory or algorithm and complexity theory. It is the natural bridge between mathematics and CS.
- Theoretical Physics:- It is the study of the interplay between the physical theories, insights, and intuitions obtained from them, and also rigorous mathematics. It is used in various parts of physics such as statistical mechanics, dynamical systems, etc.
Topics of Mathematics Based on Two Main Branches
Here, we discussed some interesting topics from basic to advanced level that will not only help you to get a good score but also create your love toward Mathematics. The advanced topics are not so difficult to accomplish. It is generally the extended version of basic mathematics. Once a student gets familiar with the basics of the topics to make a connection with advanced topics it will be easy for them.
20 Best Interesting Math Topics Are:
Basic and advanced maths is generally taught in secondary and college (undergraduate and postgraduate). Some primary interesting math topics are given below:-
- What is Hyperbola?
- How do you solve a quadratic equation?
- Explain how to use the binomial theorem?
- How can you solve a matrix?
- Investigate how to calculate the mean value?
- How do you define the cross-product of two vectors?
- Define linear growth
- What is the distributive property of multiplication?
- What is the difference between Cosine, sine, and tangent?
- Why do we need an imaginary number?
- What is the numerical data?
- How can we divide complex numbers?
- Analyze the degrees in polynomial functions
- Compare the different types of statistical methods
- Describe the paradox of Gabriel’s Horn
- How can you use elementary embeddings in model theory?
- What is the quadratic formula?
- What is logarithmic use for?
- Explain what is meant by “range” and “domain” in algebra
- Discuss Borromean ring configuration
Math topics can be an interesting part of the learning process as they just require proper time and dedication from the students. The above-discussed interesting math topics can help the learner to develop a keen interest in the subject. These topics can help a learner or students to improve their learning capabilities together.