What is Civil Engineering all about? Civil Engineering studies the science of building and designing bridges, roads, highways etc. It is a profession where civil engineers, build dams, bridges, water systems, roads and other buildings. They are expected to find creative ways to improve the infrastructure of their construction through climate changes, increased urbanization and drought. The use of Civil engineering is considered to be the oldest engineering discipline.
What Are The Branches Of Engineering?
There are so many fields of Civil Engineering, some of them are:-
- Construction Engineering – Construction Engineering was introduced in 1963 at Iowa State University. Construction Engineering is about planning, managing and constructing the infrastructures such as bridges, highways, airports, railroads etc. Construction engineering requires the involvement of hydraulic, transportation, environmental, geotechnical, site development and structural engineers to execute the designs. Construction engineers are considered to be problem solvers. They help in creating infrastructures that meet the demands of the environment. A construction engineer must have a precise knowledge of maths, science, communication, time management, analytical thinking etc.
- Transportation Engineering – Transportation Engineering aims at applying technology and scientific principles to the management, planning, operation and functional design for making the modes of transportation comfortable, rapid, safe, economical and compatible with the environment. Before proceeding with their plans, the engineers must inspect the area, considering its population, economic activities, land use, community expectations and values, travel patterns, transportation services and facilities, laws, etc.
- Water Resource Engineering – Water Resource Engineering is introduced to design new systems and equipment that contribute to helping human water resources. It requires knowledge of meteorology, hydraulics and geology. The water resource engineers help implant underground water wells, water treatment facilities and natural springs.
- Earthquake Engineering – The lives and properties of people are greatly influenced by Earthquake Engineering, a sub-discipline of Civil Engineering. It is used to lessen the chances of damage caused by earthquakes. The main aim of earthquake engineering is to keep the building codes in mind and accord them to the buildings to lower the risks of damage.
- Environmental Engineering – Environmental engineering helps protect people from unfavourable environmental effects like pollution, global warming etc. Environmental engineers improve environment-friendly measures such as waste disposal, recycling, water pollution control, air pollution control and public health. Ecological engineering has existed ever since the need to conserve the environment occurred. Living conditions cannot improve if the air, water, and soil are contaminated.
What Should Be Done To Become A Civil Engineer?
Civil Engineering is such a field that comes with great opportunities. A Civil Engineer can work in a field, at an office or a combination of both places. So, here are some steps you need to follow to become a Civil Engineer :
- Understand The Job Of A Civil Engineer – To pursue any subject; you must have complete knowledge. Different topics have different teachings. What is the definition of Civil Engineering? Civil Engineering is a subject that deals with planning, designing, constructing and maintaining public works. Civil engineers work in different fields, such as environment, transportation, water resource, etc. The USA Civil Engineering also has a lot of Military Engineering.
- Match Your Skills – Civil Engineering requires good academics and many other skills. It requires good science and mathematical skills, designing skills, time management skills, supervision skills, creativity skills,s etc. The most important skill it requires is thinking about the “big picture” and working as a team. Sometimes it may need you to work without supervision and create and construct without guidance. So, it would be best if you were sure whether you have these qualities or not, the Civil Engineering comes with social responsibility as well, so you have to be confident and determined before pursuing it.
- Select Civil Engineering As A Course – When you have crossed the previous two steps, it is time to take it up as a subject. Find the best schools for Civil Engineering and get yourself enrolled. Select a programme that interests you the most. Civil Engineering has different fields like earthquake engineering, environmental engineering, water resource engineering etc.
Once you finish your course, do an internship, and you are all set to work in Civil Engineering.
In The Modern World, the importance of Civil Engineering has been given a massive upheaval as people always want unique and advanced gradation of techniques. Today looking at our surroundings in a metropolitan city, the contribution of Civil Engineering is highly appreciated. Although, no matter how modern the work requires, the safety of people and the environment should not be compromised.