Synthetic biology is the field of science that concerns redesigning organisms for meaningful motives with the help of engineering. This is an interdisciplinary subject. Synthetic biology involves the applications of engineering principles to biology. It joins the chemical synthesis of DNA with extended knowledge of genomics. Synthetic biology is a branch of science that carries a vast zone of methodologies from different disciplines like genetic engineering, molecular engineering, molecular biology, membrane science, evolutionary biology, computer science, control engineering, biophysics, system biology, and biotechnology.
From the past years, synthetic biology courses gained immense popularity because of their vast use in almost every field. Its excessive use creates this subject the top choice of the learners who are willing to create their future in synthetic biology. Almost every science and technology course-related university provides the course with full dedication and the best placement.
Background of Synthetic Biology
Friedrich Wohler was a German scientist who successfully conducted research on synthetic biology. In 1828 a German Chemist Friedrich applied NH4CI (ammonium chloride) to AgOCN (silver isocyanate) in order to generate urea. This is the main compound that carries a high volume of nitrogen that is found in the urine of mammals. Mr. Wohler synthesized an organic compound from inorganic matter. From that day, it has become the daily process of our scientists to create organic matter from the different conventional processes of chemicals.
In the 1970s researchers began to start experimenting with recombinant DNA technology and genetic engineering. In this, the researcher modified the genetic code of wild-type bacteria by injecting single wild-type genes that could modify bacterial functions.
Area of Synthetic Biology Research
Synthetic biology is the mixture and builds upon many fields such as system biology, molecular biology, engineering, Nanobiotechnology, and information technology. It uses innovative and new automation for genetic advancement but with specific aims at the facilitation and acceleration of the process. Here are the five areas of synthetic biology research that are like; xenobiology, protocell construction, DNA-based circuit, synthetic genomics, and synthetic metabolic pathway engineering.
Let us discuss them one by one:
- Synthetic Metabolic Pathway Engineering: This is the zone of research that wants to rebuild and redesign metabolic pathways to generate a particular molecule.
- Xenobiology: It is also called chemical synthetic biology. This is the study of unusual life forms. The study is based on biochemistry. Xenobiology aims to change the biochemical building blocks of life.
- Protocell Construction: It can be described as models of artificial cells that have few properties of living organisms but are not totally living. It aims to generate the easiest possible components to evolution, sustain reproduction, and self-maintenance.
- DNA-Based Circuit: DNA based-circuit is the field of synthetic biology research. The aim of this research is to rationalize the design sequences of DNA to produce biological circuits.
- Genome Level Engineering: It is also a popular area of research on synthetic biology. It focuses on the genome as the causal engine of the cell.
Best Universities that Provide UG and PG Degree in Synthetic Biology Program
The high uses of synthetic biology increase the demand for researchers who can create a new process and method to reduce the burden of those sectors that directly or indirectly depend upon this. Universities and colleges provide a wide range of courses with different duration and degrees in order to produce young and enthusiastic professionals or researchers. Almost all the popular universities and non-popular universities added this subject to their educational curriculum. Here are we going to highlight the name of a few universities that provide undergraduate and postgraduate programs also the Ph.D. degree as well :
- University of California: One of the most popular universities in the world, situated in the heart of the USA. Here you can study this program in your Master’s program in Engineering.
- Cornell University: Another popular university in the world and based in the USA. Here you can find the synthetic degree programs in three different variants. BEE (Department of Biology and Environmental engineering provides Masters of Engineering.
- Duke University: A private university in California. Here the program is offered under the Master’s program in Biomedical engineering. This degree program takes 2 years the complete.
- Wisconsin University: A public research university established in the year 1848 in Madison, USA. The faculty of biomedical science regulates this program under their supervision. This university is best if you want to pursue a Ph.D. degree in synthetic biology.
- Rice University: Formerly known as Willam Marsh Rice university. Here you can study the program for a Master’s degree in Bioengineering. You can also further pursue your Ph.D. degree program in physical biology, synthetic, and system.
All and all, synthetic biology is the program that gained immense popularity in the present time. This multidisciplinary subject helps the students and researchers to generate new and productive things from the non-living organism. It helps to produce a product or thing which is a totally new creation. The subject is highly popular among those students who want to learn something new and create some unique research. Here you can find a detailed description of the subject and we hope this will help you to learn something new and interesting.
Also Read: 100 Error Free Microbiology Assignments