College works are more confusing at any time. Whether it is related to choosing a college, taking a transfer or deciding about what courses to join and their credits required for graduation. A most common question asked by students before continuing with graduation is ” How many English credits are required for graduation”.
Credit is a remark of the course earned through student’s efforts and learning in an academic year. Almost all the graduation colleges split the courses into 3 basic streams.
- General education requirement
- Particular subject of interest.
General education includes English subjects also. English is the subject which is compulsorily recommended by almost all the graduation colleges. The English credits or years required by this college for graduation is 4. The graduation college expects the strong reading and writing skills in English. They need good communication skills to keep their college at a good success rate. This is the main reason why you need 4 credits in English for graduation.
All most all the graduation colleges around the world require 4 years of English course before joining their college for graduation. Here are the few lists of colleges that are their English credit requirement for graduation:
- Carleton College: In this college, they strongly recommend having completed 4 years of completed English course or 4 credits in English subject. If a candidate has 3 years or 3 credits in English subject then he is analyzed by his writing skill, which should be very strong.
- MIT: This institute checks the candidates on their strong academics with an English course completed. Candidates should have a good score in their high school academics.
- NYU: The university selects the students based on there English skills in writing and 4 credits in English is a must.
- Stanford: There is a compulsory requirement of English preparation at Stanford college. But the university says the applicants completed with the English course will have more chance of obtaining the admission in their college.
- UCLA: The admissions folks of UCLA prefer to choose a candidate with 4 years of English course completed included to this they also prefer that students should have read literature and should have good writing skills.
- Williams College: The students applying to this college do not require any English study as per William’s college rules but the admission folks choose to admit the students with full English credit score.
With all these above college proof we can strongly say that for graduation English subject with 4 credits is a must. It is clear that if you have earned 4 credits in English then it means that you have fulfilled most of the college’s requirements.
Importance of English for Non- Native speakers:
Completing 4 years of English course in High schools opens many of the college’s gates for you to complete graduation. Course completion implies that the student attended an English class every year in his/her high school studies. It doesn’t matter if the student had taken English as his 1st language or second language. The requirement is to complete the course with fluency. He/she should be successful in demonstrating their proficiency in English.
If in case a candidate has completed his schooling in another language then such a student should prove his efficiency in English by taking a few specific tests. The most common and recommended test is TOEFL. It is a foreign English language test. The graduation college expects a good score in this TOEFL exam for the admissions in their colleges.
Some of the other Exams for proving English skills are IELTS (International English language testing system), Sat, AP, ACT, AP and many more. Many colleges consider these exam scores also other than TOEFL. But TOEFL is the common exam most colleges prefer.
English is a very important language for graduation. It helps to know about the new technologies and researches in any field as most of the knowledge shared in today’s life is in English. As graduation colleges keep their reputation as the first priority, it is important for them to choose students knowing English very fluently. They prefer a student with good English credits as they can expect good growth in their college reputation and also student personal growth. Hence if one needs to go for graduation then he/she should have 4 credits in English.